A Successful Recruiter’s Guide to the Job Boards
While you have a wide range of advertising options available to you when recruiting, job boards remain one of the most effective. Success isn’t guaranteed, of course, but when you have the right strategy in place, you can find excellent candidates.
The Benefits of Job Boards
- Job seekers use them – Job seekers have lots of places to look when finding vacancies. For many, job boards are high on their search lists.
- Quick results – In most situations, you can post a vacancy to a job board in minutes. As soon as your listing appears on the website, you can start receiving CVs. This applies 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Easy to use – Job board websites have made the process of creating listings simple and straightforward.
- Cost-effective – You won’t always fill a vacancy from a listing on a job board. That said, they remain one of the most cost-effective job ad platforms available.
Selecting the Right Job Board
The options you have when advertising on job boards are the major and well-known websites plus smaller platforms. The small job boards are often niche specific. Which job boards you should advertise on will depend on the job role, your industry, and your budget.
There are two things you should remember when selecting job boards:
- It is usually better to advertise in multiple locations.
- Quality candidates are always better than lots of lesser quality applications.
Getting the Best Results
You need a clear strategy in place to ensure you get the best results possible from your job board advertising. Here are some tips:
- Think from the candidate’s perspective – This applies at every stage of the process, from deciding which job boards to use to creating the job title to writing the job description. Your goal should be to reach as many high-quality candidates as possible and then convince them to submit an application. This is easier to achieve when you understand the process from the candidate’s perspective.
- Write great job titles and descriptions – Job boards get visitors to their websites, and they proactively get some of those visitors to click on your vacancy. They can’t, however, make anyone apply to your job. That part is up to you. This means writing descriptive and searchable job titles and detailed job descriptions.
- Multi-platform approach – Most successful recruiters use multiple platforms to find the right candidate. After all, a platform might not work simply because the right candidate didn’t see or wasn’t attracted to your job. The same ad at a different time or a different ad at the same time might achieve a different result. The best way to mitigate this is to increase the reach of your campaign by using multiple platforms.
Finally, make sure you measure and analyse every ad you run. This includes using analytics tools on the job boards you use as well as analytics on your website to measure results and ROI. This is the best way to understand what works and what doesn’t.